Carol Stream Park District
Board of Commissioners
February 13, 2012
|Call to Order||The meeting was called to order at 7:00 p.m.|
|Roll Call/Pledge||Present: Commissioners Gramann, Powers, Ullman, Sokolowski, Jeffery, and Jaszka|
Absent: Commissioner Bird Listening Post
- Fed Ex representatives Jonathan Sinclair and Hank Hockey, 205 Della Ct, presented the Board with a $2,500 check to use towards greening initiatives. The local Fed Ex Ground branch forwarded their sustainability award to CSPD, applauding the District’s land use, recycling efforts, and Earth Day events.
- WDSRA Foundation member Jeff Hayden of Geneva, IL thanked the Board for its continued support and invited Commissioners to the Foundation’s upcoming dinner auction March 10, 2012.
- Commissioner Sokolowski was presented an IAPD Distinguished Commissioner award for his years of service, continuing education and contributions. Commissioner Gramann received the same award at the 2012 IAPD/IPRA state conference.
Changes to the AgendaNone Action Items Approval of MinutesCommissioner Powers made a motion to approve the minutes of the regular meeting, January 23, 2012. Seconded by Commissioner Jeffery. Voice vote taken. Motion passes 6-0-0. Concession Operator ContractCommissioner Sokolowski made a motion enter into an agreement with Rocco Vinos Inc II to be the exclusive operator of the concession stand service at Coral Cove Water Park and McCaslin Park for 2012, 2013, and 2014 allowing the Park District Attorney and Executive Director to make alterations that do not change the scope or intent of the agreement presented. Seconded by Commissioner Jaszka. Discussion ensued:
- Commissioner Sokolowski: “I like someone who does this for a living versus operating ourselves. We’re in business of recreation, not operating concession stands.”
- Commissioners have heard good things about Rocco Vinos Inc II and like using a local business. Complaints have waned compared to a few years ago.
- Make sure it’s an affordable place for a family to visit.
- Questions over three-year term were eased by the 60 day opt-out clause
- Were operating fees benchmarked? Past budget figures used
- Are three-year contracts standard? Yes
- Is Rocco Vino’s Inc II ok with the contract? What promises did we make regarding McCaslin? Existing participant numbers and scheduling plans were provided. Rocco Vino’s II manages two additional concession stands beyond Coral Cove Water Park.
- McCaslin was built with tax exempt bonds; are the concession sales within the bond private use guidelines? Yes; up to 5% can be used for private enterprise
- Perhaps additional exceptions of Coyote Crossing Mini Golf and the new recreation center should be added to the contract? Executive Director Biondo will follow up with legal counsel.
- Potential alcohol sales questions were re-directed as appropriate topics for the new ad hoc committee.
Voice vote taken. Motion passes 6-0-0. Approval of Budget and Appropriation OrdinanceCommissioner Powers made a motion to approve Ordinance 457, 2012 Budget and Appropriation Ordinance in total amount of $26,721,346. Seconded by Commissioner Jeffery. Roll Call Vote:
Commissioner Sokolowski Aye
Commissioner Ullman Aye
Commissioner Jeffery Aye
Commissioner Powers Aye
Commissioner Gramann Aye
Commissioner Jaszka Aye
Motion passes 6-0-0. Annual Auditor Services ProposalCommissioner Jeffery made a motion to approve a fee of $20,000 for Seldon Fox to conduct and prepare a complete report of the District’s 2011 Consolidated Annual Financial Report. Seconded by Commissioner Jaszka. Voice vote taken. Motion passes 6-0-0. Quarterly Treasurer’s ReportCommissioner Jeffery made a motion to accept the quarterly Treasurers Report for the period ending December 31, 2011 as presented. Seconded by Commissioner Powers. Voice vote taken. Motion passes 6-0-0. Request Ad Hoc CommitteesCommissioner Gramann appointed two ad hoc committees:
- Ad hoc indoor pool IGA – CSPD and District 87: Commissioners Sokolowski, Bird, and Gramann (alternate)
- Ad hoc study feasibility of selling alcohol beverages at sport venues: Commissioners Ullman, Powers, and Jeffery
Capital Improvement Program Update and Action Recreation CenterExecutive Director Biondo and Williams Architects’ Parisi updated the board:
- Foundation digging should be able to start within the next month
- Design plans submitted to the Green Building Certification Institute; will wait for response
- Submittals for wall fabrication are almost finished
- Commissioner Gramann asked if the Board could either see the walls being made or view photos/video. Executive Director Biondo will follow up with visit arrangements.
Discussion: Soil testing status? Tests have stayed within the original 5-10% estimate McCaslin ParkExecutive Director Biondo updated the board:
- McCaslin fencing fabric stretched
- Meeting with astro turf representatives
- Concrete curbs finished
- Lift station location? Mostly below ground
- Water pressure booster pump? Near cricket field, pump will be under ground
Discussion Items Banking Services – HarrisNo discussion Legislative Update
- Proposed legislation is moving; Executive Director Biondo advised that there would be “no harm in Commissioners speaking to other legislators,” and once the proposed legislation is assigned to a committee, Commissioners can begin working directly with the committee members.
- Commissioners Jaszka, Jeffery and Powers plan to attend the legislative breakfast Thursday, February 16, 2012
- Commissioners Bird, Jeffery, Sokolowski, and Gramann plan to attend the legislative breakfast February 25, 2012
Open Meetings Act
Per the Illinois Attorney General’s Public Access Counselor, online Open Meetings Act training is required for all elected or appointed members of public bodies. Certification must be completed prior to January 1, 2013. AdjournmentCommissioner Powers made a motion to adjourn the meeting. Seconded by Commissioner Sokolowski. Voice vote taken. Motion passes 6-0-0. Meeting adjourned at 8:14pm
Arnold J. Biondo
March 12, 2012