- During play, all players must remain within boundary lines.
- Players may pass through their end-line only to retrieve stray balls. A stray ball is a dead ball that has not been picked up and is lying on the ground.
- When retrieving a ball, the play must also immediately re-enter the playing field only through their end-line. A player not immediately re-entering the playing area may be declared out. A player may be handed a ball from out of bounds, provided the player receiving the ball remains completely within their team’s field boundary. Players may not be handed a ball while standing out of bounds.
- A player shall not:
- Have any part of their body contact the playing surface over a sideline.
- Exit or re-enter the field through the sideline.
- Leave the playing field (sideline or end line) to avoid being hit by or attempt to catch a ball.
- Have any part of their body cross over the centerline and contact the ground on their opponents’ side of the court. A player may, without penalty, step ON the centerline, but cannot cross over the line. The exception: During the “Opening Rush,” many players cross the centerline. Officials should refrain from calling players OUT at this time unless a definite advantage is gained by the action.
- Throw a ball while jumping in the air and land outside of their boundaries. If a ball is thrown while the player is in the air, the player must land within their boundaries, or the ball is declared a dead ball, and any hit or catch of the ball does not count. The throwing player is called out for crossing a boundary.
- Penalty for violations of above: Player declared out.
- Out Players shall not stand behind the end line, so to avoid confusion about which players are in. This is enforced by the referees at their discretion.
Field Dimensions & Markings
- The game may be played indoors or outdoors.
- The playing field is rectangular surface free from obstructions at least 50 feet long and at least 23 feet wide. The ideal measurements are 60’ x 30’.
- The playing field shall be marked with sidelines, end lines, attack lines, and a center hash mark. With at least 3 feet (preferably 10 ft.) of unobstructed space outside boundaries. Attack Line is parallel to and 10ft. from centerline. It is recommended that the centerline is 8 inches wide.
- The restraining line is located 6 to 8 feet outside and parallels to each end-line. Only active players (those not “out”) are allowed to pass through the area between the end-line and restraining line.