Official’s Code Of Conduct
Every official carries a responsibility to act in a manner becoming a professional person. The conduct of any official influences the attitude of the public toward the profession in general as well as toward the official in particular, but most importantly it influences the athletes of the league; the duty of an official is to assure that the game is a positive experience for all participants.
An Official must:
- Devote time, thought, and study to the rules of the game and the mechanics necessary to carry out these rules so that one may render effective and creditable service in a fair and unbiased manner.
- Work with fellow officials and the league in a spirit of harmony and cooperation in spite of differences of opinion that may arise during the debate of points or rules at issue.
- Resist every temptation and outside pressure to use one’s position as an official to be oneself. Under all circumstances, officials must avoid promoting the special interest of any person or group of persons other than the athletes we serve.
- Constantly uphold the honor and dignity of the avocation in all personal conduct and relations with the athletes, coaches, colleagues, parents, and fans, to be a worthy example to the athletes under one’s jurisdiction.
- Be prepared both physically and mentally, dress according to expectations and maintain a proper appearance that is befitting the importance of the game.
- Avoid the use of alcohol and tobacco products at the game site.
Print Official’s Code Of Conduct