Coaches Code of Conduct
All youth sports coaches are expected to adhere to the following Code of Conduct and can be held accountable when not doing so.
I understand that my responsibilities as a youth coach are of great importance and that my actions have the potential to significantly influence the young athletes whom I coach.
I understand that many children participate in sports for numerous different reasons, and that the number one reason is to have fun!
I understand that as a youth coach I am obligated to honor the games rules, opponents, officials, teammates and self, and to teach players to do the same.
Therefore, by participating as a youth sports volunteer, I will adhere to the following Codes.
I will create an appropriate environment for our children that:
- Focuses on safety, fun, skill development, and education.
- Has a positive lasting impact on the children of our community.
- Promotes building character and learning life skills.
- De-emphasizes a win at all costs attitude.
- Is fair, consistent, and best meets the emotional and physical needs of all children.
- Builds a culture where winning is not defined by outcome of competition, but by the individual needs of all the children.
I will act responsibly and do my best to assure that:
- I provide equal playing time for every child, and assure fair and consistent position rotation.
- I properly educate players the importance of teamwork, effort, having fun, and playing fair while properly instructing age appropriate fundamentals and skills.
- I provide players with the best education, instruction and organization possible by attending required meetings, clinics and certifications.
- I am familiar with the objectives of the youth sports program.
I strive to achieve these objectives and communicate them to my players and their parents.
- I cooperate with the administrator of our organization in the enforcement of rules and regulations, and I will report irregularities that violate sound competitive practices.
- I provide a healthy and safe environment for my players, which are in accordance with my leagues safety procedures. I will provide safe instruction and use of playing equipment.
- I will display appropriate behavior.
I understand that violations of the following codes will jeopardize my privilege to coach youth sports.
- I will treat each player, opposing coach, official, parent or administrator with respect and dignity, and refrain from using profanity, intimidation tactics and inappropriate language.
- I will uphold the authority of officials who are assigned to the contests in which I coach, and I will assist them in every way to conduct fair and impartial competitive contests.
- I will display appropriate behavior towards, and in the presence of, children
I understand that violation of the following codes may result in immediate termination of my privilege to coach youth sports.
- I will never coach under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- I will never initiate or participate in any form of verbal or physical assault on any staff, volunteer, parent or child.
The Carol Stream Park District reserves Violations of the Coaches Code
of Conduct results in written documentation, advisory consultation
and possible disciplinary action. The following data outlines the disciplinary procedures of the Carol Stream Park District:
Conduct Codes A and B
- Any violation under Codes A and/or B results in verbal consultation by Carol Stream Park District Staff.
- A second violation under Codes A and/or B results in a sit-down consultation between a Carol Stream Park District Staff person and the coach. Suspension from that coach’s privilege to manage/coach youth sports may accompany.
- A third violation under Codes A and/or B may result in termination of that coach’s privilege to manage/coach youth sports.
Conduct Code C
- Any violation under Code C results in a sit-down consultation between a Carol Stream Park District Staff person and the coach. Suspension from that coach’s privilege to manage/coach and attend youth sports may accompany.
- A second violation under Code C may result in termination of that coach’s privilege to manage/coach and attend youth sports.
Conduct Code D
- Any violation under Code D may result in termination of that coach’s privilege to manage/coach and attend youth sports.